Moses didn’t bring these ten down from the mountain top but I suspect he’d think they help support what was on the tablets. Are you mastering these key behaviors of a successful leader?
- Have integrity – without it, everything else is for nothing. Do what you say you are going to do.
- Be a grown-up – never getting emotionally negative with people – no shouting, demeaning, or ranting, even if you feel very upset or angry.
- Lead by example – act and work in a way that would make your mother pleased and you proud if a team member mimicked you.
- Help and work alongside your people when they need it.
- Practice fairness – treat everyone equally and on merit. The opposite of this would be to act out prejudice or favoritism.
- Be firm, consistent and clear in dealing with bad or unethical behavior.
- Excel as a listener – Work to truly understand people, and convey your understanding. (understanding is different to agreeing).
- Always giving your people the credit for your successes.
- Never practice self-promoting.
- Be decisive – even if the decision is to delegate or do nothing if appropriate. Be known as one who makes fair and balanced decisions.
There is a sign in my office that says “People that stand for nothing, fall for everything.” So make a stand and you will be a successful leader.
Want to learn more about leadership? Check out our Branch Manager Expertise program!