Requesting, examining, and recording the presenter’s identification is an important part of the check-cashing decision. It is how you determine whether the presenter is the person he or she claims to be. Since it is difficult to recognize everyone who wants to cash a check, properly identifying them is critical.
Customer Identification Six Point Validity Test
Determine the validity of customer identification using specific criteria.
Acceptable identification must:
- Contain a photograph.
- Describe the presenter.
- Show a sample of the presenter’s signature.
- Include the birth date of the presenter.
- Display a date of expiration.
- Be recognizable as an official I.D. and contain a registration or identification number.
Commonly acceptable forms of identification may include:
- Valid Driver’s License with a photograph
- Armed Forces issued ID
- USA/Foreign Passport
- Official state Issued ID with a photograph
- INS issued Alien Registration Card
- Well-known employee I.D. cards that contain photograph
- Government/military identification cards
REMEMBER: For the I.D. to be acceptable, it must pass the Six Point Test!